Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Table top ReDo

It was time. 
This extremely cheap find(that I found almost four years ago) was looking...extremely cheap. We didn't want to dump much money into it but, it really needed a face lift.
After searching the Internet for days and days looking at painting ideas, checking prices at Home Depot and Lowe's, I decided on something...unique? Isaac was pretty excited for this project for now he had a reason to buy cool new tools(that I didn't include in the cost.)

Here goes...

The table. Dun dun dun!

The top was made of putty. Everything and I mean everything put dents in it or scratched paint off.

The supplies for the table top(all purchased at Lowe's): Wood laminate flooring samples(90 of them), Wood glue, shellac, paint brush, sander and rotor.

The husband's new toys!

And now we work! 

Well, he works. :) I watch and maybe go make myself something for lunch.

Looking good! I'm so glad we bought that sander! It took about an hour to sand.

Now that it was nicely sanded we brought it back inside, laid out the flooring pieces...

And started gluing them down.

We clamped the first piece for stability.

And after we glued(quickly) we hammered the rows that seemed off kilter then threw everything heavy we had on the top. The bags are our year books, school books and heavy book series. A very "frugal" way of holding down those glued pieces. ;)

About 20 hours later the able top was looking a little better.

Now to even up the edges and make it purdy.

Not the greatest picture. I was off with the kiddo while this was being done so I didn't get any photos of my sexy man at work. ;)
As you can see he brought the edges of the glued on flooring in further than the original edge, then sanded the edge of the original table top giving it a stacked affect.

 We dragged it back inside(that was getting old) and gave it a nice rub down, shellacked it a few times, sanded it and shellacked it one last time.


The finished product. 

The total cost (not including tools)
Wood glue - already had
90 Wood laminate flooring pieces - $.22 a piece = 19.80
Shellac - $12.80
Paint brushes(2) - $3.48 = $6.96

Total cost, $39.56

Now to reupholster the chairs...

3 comments:

Piper said...

That is awesome and totally turns out unique and super pretty ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ It!!!

Diane Brennan said...

Thanks so much Lady! It was our first DIY project and I'm super pleased with how it turned out :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!!!! I redid my chairs. Found a local company to cut the foam (old antique chairs) used some cool fabric I bought in Africa. But your table is AWESOME. Nice teamwork Brennans;) aunt debi