Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Ansbach

For the past two years my Husband and I have been submerged into the German culture, living in a small Bavarian town called Ansbach, with a population of around 50,000. It is located about 40 kilometers from Nurnberg and a two hour train ride/drive to Munich. 


Unfortunately, 90 percent of the locals speak English making it way to easy for me. I can only say a few phrases and words in German like counting, ordering food and saying 'good day', 'hello' and 'goodbye'. 



I CAN inform you on some tid bits about the German culture you should always remember if you come to visit:

Being on time for anything is a MUST! One minute late and you can get some not-so-friendly stares. lol!

When going out to eat you have to plan on being there for at least two hours which was very hard adjusting to but in my last visit back to the states, I found myself very offended for being rushed whenever I went out to eat. 

Enjoying brunch on a beautiful spring day with my friend Jess.

If the sun is shinning, you are a fool for staying inside. Everyone is out walking, riding bikes, shopping, etc.

AND, if you have been to Germany or ever come this way and never buy a pretzel you are seriously missing out! 

Mmmmm, pretzels.

 "Are you going to the fest?", is THE question you will hear all summer long. Ansbach and every other town within a 60 kilometer radius is having one fest or another. These "fests" involve large amounts of delicious German beer, groups of people singing, scrumptious food, rides and games, laughter and enjoying time with friends and family.

Isaac indulging in the "festivities".  
The band on stage playing their polka music and friends sitting around enjoying...soon to be dancing on the tables.
Good times :)
There are always things to see, to do and explore in Ansbach(even on Sundays when everything shuts down).



I believe this church in the Aldstadt is called the "Commoners church" which is facing the "Noble's Church".

The "Noble's Church"




A lovely park we found hidden in the Aldstadt.

I hope that this has only given you the desire to see for yourself the beauty of my home. :)

No comments: