Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pumpkins!

It's pumpkin time!
I have a new found love for the fall and winter after first experiencing it in Colorado Springs. Though I must say Germany's winter is much more gentle then Colorado's.

I had the pleasure of carving three pumpkins for a harvest/halloween themed 'Spaghetti Night' for our health clinic this past Friday. 

First you need some or just one pumpkin, perferrably one with as little flaws and it helps if it is taller, but sometimes choices are slim.


Next is the carving kit which you can buy from a grocery store and there are usually a few to chose from. 
The green kit was from last year for two dollars and the orange was bought this year for four dollars. The tools also come with a book of designs for tracing.


 Then you flip the pumpkin over and carve out a nice hole out of the bottom and start de-gooping! There are scrapers provided in the carving kits but I use my hand to get all those delicious seeds out first. 

 

Oh! Don't forget the bowl for the seeds!


Once you get the inside of the pumpkin cleaned out you're ready for carving. 


I found a great site for designs that you can print off for free! http://www.dltk-holidays.com/halloween/mpatterns.htm

The result, fun decorations made by you!


 I love FALL!

P.S. Don't forget to bake those pumpkin seeds! Here is the recipe I have used every year and never can get enough of. 

No comments: