Monday, January 23, 2012

Ingredient of the Week: Monday

It's Monday! 

Enough said.

Today I decided to try
Jalapeno Soup

Ingredients:
4 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups chopped celery
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 to 2 Jalapeno peppers diced.
Optional- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts diced.

Directions:
1.In large saucepan, over medium high heat, saute celery, onion, garlic and jalapeno pepper with butter or oil. Remove from pan and cook diced chicken when done add vegetables back in.
2. Turn to high heat. Mix cornstarch in chicken broth and pour over vegetables and chicken stirring until thickened. Add milk.
3. Remove from heat, stir in cheese. Serve!

On a side note: If you like your soup more thick you can add extra cornstarch to milk before pouring into soup mixture. AND if you don't want chunkies, place soup into food processor or blender after cheese is added.
This recipe is very flexible and you can add and delete to your liking! 
I Used two Jalapenos and that was pretty dang spicy :) If you don't like spice try it with green chilis.

If you try this I would love to hear thoughts and any changes you made to suit you!

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Great idea with the ingredient of the week!! I feel the same way with my cooking lately...same old same old. I used to be so creative, but I think that was when we had cable and Iwatched the Food Network incessantly. Haha.
Last week I made a spicy chicken chowder, sounds similiar to your recipe here only I roasted the jalepeno for extra flavor, and made the broth with butter and flour (a basic roux) and it was so thick and delicious. Yum!

Unknown said...

That sounds delicious! I have some great recipes for this week that are delicious and pretty easy. I hope you get to try them :)